Job detail page
|Number of Positions:||1|
|Department:||Diabetes and Endocrine Services|
|Years of Experience:||3|
Summary of Main
Duties and Responsibilities
To provide clinical diabetic education and management to all related Adult and Pediatric (More than 10 years old) diabetic patients (Inpatient and Outpatient) in UHS.
- Actively participates in upholding and promoting the vision and culture of University Hospital Sharjah (UHS)
- Complies with all UHS policies, procedures and fire regulations
- Participates in all aspects of the International Accreditation program to assist UHS to attain and maintain international accreditation standards
- Performs nursing practice in line with the facility, MOH, JCI and FDON policies, procedures and standards
- Provide Outpatient diabetes and self-management training and education to type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetic patients.
- Plan, develop and implement individual and group diabetes education for adults, paediatrics, their families and care providers.
- Assess, plan, implements and evaluates the diabetic nursing care of each patient, considering the patient’s individuality, abilities, culture and right to choose.
- In conjunction with the dietetic department provide nutritional counseling for weight control and disease management.
- Educate and follow patients with diabetes for control of blood sugar, lipids, renal function and prevention of diabetes complications.
- Educate and train patient and family members/care providers on how to administer insulin, self-monitoring of blood sugars and medication education.
- Refer to other members of the MDT as required, including Dietetic department, wound care specialist nurse, podiatrist and endocrinology.
- Train and educate nursing staff in diabetes and health clinical procedures, coordinating in-service education, continuing education, development and assessment of clinical diabetes-based competencies.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures for diabetes and health education guidelines.
- Develop collaborative relationships with other departments, services, and community health care agencies to facilitate and support high standards of diabetes care.
- Evaluate the diabetes programme on a continuing basis, assessing teaching methods and education material for both staff and patients, with action taken for any required changes.
- Develops Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) sensitive to diabetic education and management.
- Collects and analyses data for the agreed KPIs, providing action plans based upon the findings.
- Develop and implement required educational resources for both staff and patients/families.
- Participates in the provision of a safe and positive workplace by enhancing occupational health and safety requirements, as well as monitoring the operations and continuous improvement of the safety management system.
- Attends assigned committees and reports back to department.
- Acts as clinical resource providing support for diabetic patient care.
- Assists physicians with examinations, procedures and other processes related to direct patient care, within agreed scope of practice and competency.
- Documents the nursing care and education of each patient in the approved patient medical record, in accordance with the facility approved medical record and documentation policy.
- Ensures patient environment is safe for patients and staff by utilizing infection control practices, adhering to International patient safety goals and following facility health and safety policies
- Collaborates with the Multi-disciplinary team and acts as patient advocate to ensure quality care is delivered
- Adhere to the safe administration of medication policy within the facility, administering prescribed medications, including narcotics as per scope of practice
- Demonstrates sensitivity to patients’ comfort and privacy and expresses interest in their progress.
- Utilizes and ensures maintenance of equipment and instruments, reporting any damages, equipment malfunctioning to the Bio – Medical department and nurse in charge immediately.
- Ensures all administrative billing documentation, appointment scheduling and insurance approval is complete as per facility policy and billing details have been communicated with patient and family.
- Initiates emergency, safety practices and fire safety measures as necessary.
- Reports all incidents through agreed channels and chain of command, ensuring Incident report is completed, submitted to nurse in charge and any immediate action required taken.
- Maintains and adheres to patient confidentiality at all times.
- Responsible for attendance to yearly mandatory training as scheduled on mandatory training calendar.
- Responsible for professional clinical practice and is actively involved in updating knowledge through educational activities.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned (within scope of practice)
- The employment terms and conditions for this position are specified in the individuals Employment Contract.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing holding a BSc Nursing /Diploma of Nursing, not less than 3 years study duration.
- MOH License as Registered Nurse
- Minimum 7 years post-graduation experience with at least 3 years in Diabetes education.
- Post-Graduation Diabetic educator course.