Job detail page
|Number of Positions:||1|
|Years of Experience:||5|
Responsible and accountable for prescribing, delegating and coordinating the nursing care provided to both in patient and Out Patients for wound and ostomy care within the context of the organizational nursing service.
Summary of Main
Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively participates in upholding and promoting the vision and culture of University Hospital Sharjah (UHS) Ensures nursing is practiced in accordance with professional standards, in line with facility, MOH, JCI, FDON policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Adheres to established medical/nursing practice standards and hospital policies and procedures.
- Consult on the following classification of wounds: Pressure Ulcer, Diabetic foot, venous ulcer, Traumatic wounds, Arterial ulcer, open abdominal wounds, burns and other complex non-healing wounds.
- Manage the outpatient wound and diabetic foot clinic.
- Manage all wound care consultations and educational support to inpatients and outpatients and their families/carers, regarding their wound care needs.
- Implement plans to prevent pressure ulcers and other wound developments.
- Initiate nursing care plans and procedures in managing acute, chronic and complex wounds.
- Evaluate wounds and injuries for infections or other illness factors contributing to wound development and provide recommendation for treatment.
- Assess, reassess and plan treatment pathway for all notified wounds.
- Provide appropriate patient/family/care giver education throughout the patient episode, including comprehensive discharge planning advice.
- Assess, collaborate and coordinate discharge planning needs and readiness for discharge with other members of the MDT.
- Assess and recommend treatment requirements and plans with all members of the MDT.
- In consultation with general surgery provide siting recommendation and pre –op and post op counseling for stoma patients.
- Act as a resource to staff for wound product selection and use.
- Act as an educational resource to all members of the MDT on the management of wound care.
- Provide up to date education and guidance to the nursing department, in both a practical clinical setting and teaching environment, including education in the monthly general nursing orientation programme, and comprehensive bedside teaching.
- Develop related patient education material.
- Develop and assess nursing competency in the field of wound care.
- Develop wound care link nurse programme.
- Lead performance improvement projects on the management of hospital acquired pressure ulcers and their prevention.
- Supply monthly reports and data analysis on agreed wound care related KPIs.
- Develop an integrated wound care committee, focusing on the prevention of hospital acquired pressure ulcers and the management of community acquired ulcers.
- Monitor and measure the appropriate use of the hospital approved pressure relieving devices.
- Responsible for the yearly budget proposal for all pressure relieving devices and wound care aids within the facility.
- Develop and maintain evidence based wound care policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Provide all requested and required monthly reports associated to the Wound care specialist nurse activities.
- Develop and maintain community links with associated agencies (Sharjah Social Welfare, Aged Care Home, private home care agencies) to increase awareness, educate and monitor community acquired pressure ulcers.
- Provide comprehensive patient specific wound care discharge plans to community agencies, including equipment requirements.
- Provide follow up to all patients discharged from UHS with wounds, with community agencies/families etc…
- Participates in Senior Nursing Team meetings
- Participates in nursing continuous quality improvement initiatives, in service education programmes and committee functions as assigned by DON.
- Prepares and submits statistical data as specified by DON.
- Maintains accurate documentation in accordance with the medical record policy.
- Recognize, and provides support to individuals from all different cultural backgrounds
- Continuous self-development, participate in internal orientation, mandatory, and all ongoing education programmes Attend external conferences, workshops, seminars and courses that will enhance and maintain a current knowledge base.
- The employment terms and conditions for this position are specified in the individuals Employment Contract.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with BSc Degree in Nursing/Diploma not less than 3 years of study
- Minimum 10 years’ experience with at least 4 years in a wound care specialist nurse role.
- Completed post graduate study in Wound Care management, from a recognized approved school.
- Masters in wound care from approved school.